Lemon Party - Blueberry Lemon Marmalade and Lemon Curd

So last weekend was a rare time when I didn't need to be studying anything. I took advantage by making way too much food, especially jam. It's rather nice to be making jam when it's less than 100 degrees outside, even pleasant if it's closer to 30 degrees. I really like lemon desserts. It goes back to an old family friend who used to buy lemon cakes for us to have at tea time. She was from Zimbabwe and only went to this one specific baker from Johannesburg. While I haven't been able to find a lemon cake as good as the one she would get, lemon desserts still bring back fond memories of our tea times. I also really like toast with butter and marmalade. While fulfilling my lemon fantasies, I went through a total of 11 lemons. It was so satisfying. For the lemon curd, I used David Lebovitz' recipe. I'd never had it before, but it is the nectar of the gods. I've been eating this every day. I also made a plain lemon marmalade, and a blueberry lemon marmalade using frozen blueberries. I like frozen berries because they are cheaper and generally more nutritious because they are frozen soon after being picked. I can't vouch for their nutritional superiority when they are cooked into jam though.

Blueberry Lemon Marmalade:
about 3 lemons
water
sugar
1 cup frozen blueberries

1. Wash the lemons. Quarter them lengthwise and remove the seeds. Then slice them as thinly as possible crosswise.
2. Measure the lemons, throw them in a pot, and add an equal volume of water. Cover, bring to a boil, uncover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let the lemon mixture sit at room temperature overnight.
4. Measure the lemon mixture. I had 2 1/2 cups. Measure out an equal volume of sugar.
5. Bring the lemon mixture + blueberries to a boil. Add the sugar a half cup at a time and allow the mixture to return to a boil.
6. Cook down your jam until it passes the cold plate test.
7. Can your jam.

If I'm giving jam to friends who I know will eat it right away, I usually just put my jam into clean, used jars. If I've made a whole bunch, then I'll go through the process of actually canning the jam.

My entry into the wonderful world of lemon curd.

Cooking down my lemon blueberry delight.

Comments

  1. I would love to make jam with you sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts