Bacon Chocolate Chip Waffles

So, I must admit, I love Epic Meal Time. I eat mostly vegetarian for environmental reasons, but I still love meat for the sake of meat. However, I have neither the funds nor the disregard for my health to do a full on Epic Meal Time. I did decide to recreate a portion of the meal from my favorite episode: Breakfast of Booze. I didn't realize the waffles were beer waffles, so I made the first buttermilk waffle recipe that came up on Epicurious. I also had to overcome my irrational fear of waffle irons in order to try this. I've had a fear of waffle irons for many years. In college, there was an awesome waffle iron with a picture of our mascot, a Boston terrier, that would be on the waffle. I told myself that I would try to face my fear and make a waffle in the dining hall. After four years, I still couldn't do it. But now, thanks to Epic Meal Time and a little help from my friends, I have made waffles by myself in a waffle iron.



About the recipe: I didn't have a steadfast measurement for the amount of chocolate chips I put in. I did allot one strip of bacon per waffle. This was not enough. I would say use bigger crumbles of more bacon. Biting into a big chunk of salty bacon in the middle of a maple syrup covered waffle is so divine. We tried one with shredded cheddar cheese, but I couldn't really taste it. I also did not make the recommended Jack Daniels Maple Syrup, but the booze free version was fine. These are some damn good waffles that you probably can't get in a restaurant.



Bacon Chocolate Chip Waffles a la Epic Meal Time
Makes 3-4 waffles

6-8 strips of bacon
~3/4 cups chocolate chips
1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup whole milk with 1 Tb white vinegar)
3 Tbs melted unsalted butter
1 large egg

1. Cook the bacon in a skillet. Drain on a paper towel and crumble or cut into chunks. Save the grease because bacon grease makes everything better. Preheat your waffle iron.

2. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3. Mix together the buttermilk, melted butter, and egg. You might want to beat the egg first.

4. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Mix until just incorporated. Also mix in the bacon and chocolate chips.

5. Grease the waffle iron. Use bacon grease because you have it right there, and it's delicious. Or you could use vegetable oil, but that wouldn't be right for an Epic Meal Time inspired recipe. Ladle batter into the waffle iron. Cook according to waffle iron directions.

Yeah, we had waffles and tomato soup for dinner. Changing the game!

Comments

Popular Posts